Wednesday, June 6, 2007

"You're a little too saucy to be a nun."

Yesterday I spent the afternoon at the Africa Faith and Justice Network (AFJN), putting the finishing touches on a project. AFJN is located in Brookland, a section of DC filled with Catholic institutions. On my way home, I noticed a little farmer's market near the Metro and decided to stop and buy some produce.

It didn't take long before I was in a conversation with a slightly eccentric guy from Licking Creek Bend Farm. After his mini soapbox speeches on fair trade coffee (i.e."Why can't Starbucks feature their fair trade coffee more than once a month?") and school lunches (i.e. "Why is eat we feed our children the worst food possible - especially in schools?") he asked what I did. I conveniently avoided the fact that I work at Starbucks part-time and told him I had just completed my degree in Family Studies and that I'm planning to go to Africa, to which he responded with the common sentiment, "There are so many problems here in the U.S...." I agreed and tried to smooth things over with some statement to the effect of, "Well, I guess we're all called to different things..." I suppose using the word "call" was a bit of Christianese, because he immediately tapped into this and asked, "Are you a nun?" (Yeah, me - in my wrap around India skirt and black tank top with visible tat - a nun? Not so much.) I responded a bit too quickly, "God, no! I think I like [the idea of] marriage (i.e. sex) a little too much to be a nun!" (Probably not the most tactful response because I really do have a great deal of respect for sisters, but that's what popped out of my mouth.) He quickly realized his mistake and before I could finish my sentence declared, "Yeah, you're a little too saucy to be [a nun]."

5 comments:

Mike Croghan said...

That's hilarious. :-) Wow, yet another thing you're going to have trouble living down. Jen "too saucy for the convent" Way. ;-)

Unknown said...

No way!! My mom is working at that farm for the summer! Don't know if she did the market this weekend, though. How randomly ironic! :-)

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I have known some saucy nuns in my time.....
Stacy

kate said...

ha HA!
So, about this tat... I have to check this out!

Megz said...

Jen you are waay too saucy to be a nun! How do you always run into the most eccentric people! I love and miss you girl!