Sunday, May 20, 2007

Life as an Oil Painting

I’ve begun to think of life as an oil painting. Let me explain. According to Wikipedia, “Most artists paint in layers...The first coat or "underpainting" is laid down first, painted normally with turpentine thinned paint...Many artists use this layer to sketch out the composition...After this layer dries, one way the artist might then proceed is by painting a "mosaic" of color swatches, working from darkest to lightest. The borders of the colors are blended together when the "mosaic" is completed. This layer is then left to dry before applying details. After it is dry, the artist will apply "glaze" to the painting, which is a thin, transparent layer to seal the surface. A classical work might take weeks or even months to layer the paint...”

There are a lot of layers of paint (i.e. people, experiences, influences, paradigms, beliefs, philosophies etc.) in this painting (i.e. my life, your life...). Each layer rests on an earlier coat; each stage [hopefully] gives birth to something deeper, clearer and more developed than before. All of these colors and layers meld together to reveal a beautiful painting in progress.

1 comment:

Caleb Miracle said...

I'm sure the final painting will simply be a masterpiece.

I hope you remember me from Teen Mania. I found you through Alicia Szilagye (sp?) How are You!?!

It's been years since I've seen you but I can see you're still smiling and that's pretty awesome.

Drop me a line sometime, i'm on facebook/myspace/xanga and stuff.