Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Derek Webb Concert


Sometimes I forget how much music unearths deep places in my heart -- places I forget, deny and ignore in the midst of the business of everyday life.

I went to a Derek Webb concert on Sunday night. It was my all time favorite kind of concert - a small venue, raw, unpolished music, lyrics that lodge themsevles in my head and demand my attention, such as...

"I don’t know the suffering of people outside my front door
and I join the oppressors of those I choose to ignore
I’m trading comfort for human life
and that’s not just murder its suicide
and this too shall be made right"
(From the song: This too shall be made right)

"I am so easily satisfied by the call of lovers less wild..."
(From the song: Wedding dress)

"there are two great lies that i've heard:
the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die
and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican
and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him"
(From the song: A king and a kingdom)

I also discovered a new, up-and-coming artist -- Alli Rogers. Part of what endeared her to me was a song she wrote/sang entitled "Tanzania". Definitely worth checking out.

No comments: