Sunday, January 7, 2007

Church Search Update 1

So, as I mentioned previously, I decided to visit two churches today: The Common Table (http://www.marshillchurch.com/come.php) and Bridgeway242(http://www.bridgeway242.org/aboutus/index.html). I haven't attended Bridgeway's service yet (it's @ 6pm tonight), but just returned from The Common Table. I like it. The second I overheard someone swear during the course of a pre-service conversation, I knew this was going to be a place worth considering. ;)

Seems like The Common Table is a small community of people from different church backgrounds (Episcopal, Charismatic etc.). Three Sundays/month their worship service is held in a coffee shop (Jammin' Java), one Sunday/month their worship takes on some form of community service (painting a house, serving an Iraq refuge family etc.) Today we read through the book of James interspersed with worship and music from special guest Chris Joyner (http://www.chrisjoyner.com/discography/).

Apparently after the service every Sunday a number of people walk over to Chipotle for lunch. I was invited to join, so I did. (People were thoughtful and friendly - I love that!) As I inquired more about the church I learned that their essential doctrine is based on the Nicene Creed and the Eucharist; everything else is basically considered non-essentials (at least that's my understanding). Also, it seems like this is a hands-on/alternative worship type atmosphere - definitely a church I'd consider getting involved with. If nothing else, it's great to see the Spirit of God at work among the greater body of Christ.

No comments: