Tuesday, January 9, 2007

“I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore, Toto...”

I’m sitting in the Senate office building coffee shop as I write. On my way to a meeting this morning, I walked past the Library of Congress and the Capitol. What the heck am I doing here?

During the meeting this morning, my stomach let out a loud growl (I forgot to eat breakfast). The guy next to me made light of the matter and quipped, “You’ve got to feed that thing!” How embarrassing! Note to self: eat breakfast. Oh, well. What can I do but laugh about it (and publish the incident on my blog so whole world can share in my DC initiation experiences)?

So, I’m giving this my best and barely holding my own. People here use words like “copasetic” in conversation. (Definition: adj. Very satisfactory or acceptable; fine. I had to look it up...) I love the intellectual and progressive environment here, but I’m also challenged by it. I think this NH girl is in a little over her head -- probably a good place to be as it causes me to daily “lift my eyes to the Maker of the mountains I can’t climb” (to borrow a line from Bebo Norman).

On a more positive note, last night I met a great group of people who are putting together an Irresistible Revolution (book by Shane Claiborne) networking/discussion time on Saturday, January 27. My friend, Matt, invited me to take part in this endeavor (more information at: www.ordinaryradical.org). Should be cool. If nothing else, it will be good to meet some more people with similar hearts/passion for living out our faith.

No comments: